Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT: Shipping to APOs

JimR wrote:
"Cshenk" wrote in message

[snip]
Since mailing to an FPO AP doesnt cost more (just taes longer) this is
correct behavior. Most however, treat us as 'overseas' and charge quite a
bit extra and bank the profit.

Not quite right -- it may not cost you or I more to mail to an APO, but it
costs many companies a LOT more, because their shipments to U.S. addresses
are highly discounted. Here's why -- companies such as on-line or TV
shopping channels like HSN use a trucking company, not the post office, to
move goods from their warehouse to the buyer's local post office . The
local post office delivers the package at a special discounted rate. The
combined costs of shipping plus local postal are less than using USPS from
the shipper's warehouse..

But they can't use this method to ship to APOs because their trucking
company can't get there, so they either have to set up a separate shipping
procedure for APO mailings -- making the overhead and the shipping for APO
orders more expensive, or make a business decision not to sell to APO
addresses.

If you ever have an order from HSN that doesn't get delivered, and trace it
back to the post office, you'll find out that it was delivered to your local
PO by R R Donnelly Logistics. Other on-line or TV sellers have similar
arrangements.

Companies which use FedEx, UPS, etc. have similar problems delivering to
APOs

Chuckle. At work, for anything too big for the APO bag, we use DHL or
FEDEX into their depots in Bagram or Baghdad. Street addresses are kind
of fuzzy over there- our people often have to go pick it up themselves.
Shipping equipment into SWA is a major PITA- every border crossed, there
is some form to fill out, and some sort of 'inspection fee' or 'duty' to
pay. And if you **** off the head of whatever border station, well, your
stuff just sits. About 2 shipments out of 10 just sort of vanish without
a trace.

aem sends...