Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

mdb wrote:

I'm renovating my basement and have a pretty fundamental question about the
romex cable I'll be running throughout the space for lights and wall jacks.
I'm having my old Federal Pacific breaker panel (150 amps) replaced with a
new Cutler Hammer 200 amp box. Have hired an electrician to do that work for
me. But I wondered why I'd bother with 15 amp circuits (14-2 romex). Is
there a reason not to simply make all three of the circuits I'll be creating
for the new basement 20 amp circuits, using 12-2 romex? Or is there a
fire/shock hazard caused by using the higher amperage circuit breakers on
those standard circuits.

Also, does on GFI protect the entire circuit on which it is located or do I
need to install more? My basement, like so many, sometimes gets wet when the
outside drains are blocked.

Hi,
It all depends. If you have long run of wires, 12 gauge will help
minimizing voltage drop and also you can put little hevier load on it.
Other than that, it's your call. It's your house, it's your work.
I have some 20A circuits for long run with more often used outlets.
Others are all 15A circuits. But on 220V application, I even use 6
gauge wires down to 12 gauge.