Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Kaz Kaz is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

I just got back from Home Depot with 100ft 10/3, a sub breaker panel w/
breakers installed, 240/30a wall outlet. $255. Copper has indeed
gotten expensive. I cant imagine the bill if I also had to tack on
labor from a professional.

Duane C. Johnson wrote:
Hi mdb;

mdb wrote:

I'm renovating my basement and have a pretty
fundamental question about the Romex cable I'll be
running throughout the space for lights and wall
jacks.

I'm having my old Federal Pacific breaker panel
(150 amps) replaced with a new Cutler Hammer 200
amp box. Have hired an electrician to do that work
for me. But I wondered why I'd bother with 15 amp
circuits (14-2 Romex). Is there a reason not to
simply make all three of the circuits I'll be
creating for the new basement 20 amp circuits,
using 12-2 Romex?

I concur with the others. I would, and have, used
12-2 Romex 20A circuits on my circuits.
(Well, possibly with the exception of the lighting
circuits which will most likely be low current.)

Or is there a fire/shock hazard caused by using
the higher amperage circuit breakers on those
standard circuits.

Also, does on GFI protect the entire circuit on
which it is located or do I need to install more?

Yes, the circuit breaker types do protect the entire
circuit. As do the receptacle types if wired that way.

My basement, like so many, sometimes gets wet when
the outside drains are blocked.

All the better to use GFIs.

Several recomendations:
1. Install larger boxes than the minimum standard
code recommends. They are roomier and easier to
work with.
2. Install double or triple the number of outlets
per wall than the minimum standard code
recommends. You can thank me in the future.
3. Use the $1.50 or $2.00 receptacles instead of the
cheap $.49 types. They are much better built and
sturdier.
4. Don't use the simple push in terminals on the
receptacles, use the old fashion screw terminals.
The contact resistance is lower, I have measured
this. OK, they do pass the UL code, but lower
resistance has to be better.

Have fun!

Duane