Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing windows during the winter???

On Nov 10, 5:56 pm, "Sam Small" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I just came in from raking the leaves on a damp and chilly November
afternoon. Had it been nicer, I would have stayed out longer and
probably done a better job. Due to the weather, I did a "good enough"
job. Do I want my windows installed "good enough" or do I want a
contractor that is in a good mood, enjoying life and more apt to
notice the little things like a piece of trim out of place or a
section of caulk that could be fixed, but doesn't really have to be?

-
If you get a contractor that will hack the job in the winter, there's
absolutely no guarantee, they will not hack it on more pleasant days. A
good installer will be a good installer, no matter the weather. Your
assumption that everyone does things like you do, is way off base.

Why is everyone going to extremes with their responses?

I say a spring day, it turns into 90 degrees. I mention letting little
things go because it's cold, you turn it into a hack job.

There's a big difference between doing a "good enough" job and taking
it to the next level. I'm sure you will agree that there are
contractors out there that will do a "good enough" job in the best of
weather and those that will go above and beyond. Neither of them is a
hack. All I'm saying is that in inclement weather, a worker may decide
to let some little things go that he might not otherwise. For example,
they might decide not to reposition that piece of trim that's covered
with ice when they just might have done it on a sunny day. That
certainly wouldn't be a hack job, merely "good enough".

As far as "doing things the way I do", you are right, most people
don't. When I told the guy that I bought my windows from (a
contractors supply house) what I did with the external trim after I
removed the storms, he told me that if I had hired the job out, few,
if any, contractors would have taken the time to do what I did. What
they would have done instead would have been "good enough" (i.e.
perfectly acceptable) but I took it to the next level. If I was doing
my windows in January, I too might have stopped at "good enough",
because there would have been nothing wrong with that method. There
was, however, a *better* way which I was willing to spend the time, in
nice weather, doing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not calling anybody a
hack, I'm simply saying that they just might want to get each window
closed up a little sooner in January than in April.

-
She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority
with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask
if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that
time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in
the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply
wouldn't exist.

That would be absurd, considering she could start saving energy and money
this winter.

-
True...and it's up to the OP to decide if the savings is worth the
worry, whether that worry is justified or not. That's a point I've
been trying to make all along: If the OP is at all worried about
whether the job should be done in the winter, then the money spent on
heating the house for a few extra months might be a price she's
willing to pay for piece of mind.

-- No offense, but you have some crazy ideas running around in your
head.

No offense taken...unless, of course, you meant to offend.