Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default 220 volt motor wiring

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:29:50 -0500, Me wrote:

Been there, done that...

When converting my garage in the States to a "SHOP", I needed more 110v outlets,
and wasn't using the 220v for the dryer plug..
With the helpful advise of a neighbor, I ran the extra ground wire and converted
the 220 into two 110v circuits, each having it's own junction box and all..
Ran 12 gauge three-wire romex (with romex staples) all around the garage to
where needed... the 220v at the breaker panel had a breaker for each leg, so I
was all set..
What they DIDN'T tell me was to replace the two 40 amp breakers with 15 or 20
amp...
We were very lucky... about 2 months later we had a small fire in one outlet box
and we were in the shop at the time, so it was easy to put the fire out...
However, I had to send my wife to the breaker box to TURN OFF the 40 amp
breaker...
I learned later that 12 gauge wire will melt before a 40 amp breaker will pop..

What I should have done was have an electrician do it, but since I did it
myself, I should have replaced the 40 amp breakers with 20 amp AND used breaker
boxes on each shop circuit instead of junction boxes..... and put 15 amp
breakers in each of the "sub panels"..

In article ,
says...

snip

Hi All,
Not exactly on topic, but I had to share this.

In 2005, I bought my home in a city closer to work and everything I do.
It was a fixer-upper, but what better for a weekend woodworking warrior?

The day after I moved in, a new neighbor walked over, introduced himself
and let me know I should be really careful with the electricity in the
garage. "The guy that moved-out thought he knew everything, but wasn't
real good with electricity and he just finished re-wiring the garage.
He couldn't turn the garage electricity on, a breaker would always
'POP' ".

The fact that the romex in the garage was draped over 10d cut masonry
nails gave me my 1st clue.
I also noticed four - individual #4 wires (all the same color, no color
code added) in the main service panel.
I wondered what appliance he had planned for the garage.

OK, let's see;
Four wires for the 220 service,
1 each for the 2 -110's
1 Neutral
1 Safety Ground

Looks good, EXCEPT 2 of the wires went to 20 amp breakers and 1 to a 15
amp breaker. He attached the Neutral to a breaker!

The kitchen was even more fun, but that's for another time.

Be Safe,

Dave

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing