Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Toilet Suggestions for Rental Unit

What does this mean?

From: http://www.niagaraflapperless.ca/feature.htm

"The MUSKOKA Comfort Toilet features a 17" high bowl, paired with a
low-profile tank. This allows the MUSKOKA to fit where most
conventional toilets would before."

Is there something about 17" high toilets that would prevent them from
fitting where a "conventional toilets would before"?

Yes, if you have a newer house and cabinetry above the tank part then need
to install a toilet with a higher seat, the tank is normally also higher.
These things come up as one gets older and may due to mobility problems,
need a higher 'seat'.

One of our longer term projects is to get our main bathroom ready for my
Mother so when she is ready, she can easily get around in it. The first
step was driven by the renters who didnt notice the tub as rusting out.
Liner now due in. It will fix the leak where it rusted out along the drain
and come with a reinforced side so we can put a handicap rail on the outer
side, and comes with internal rail weighted to 350lbs (Mom is 150lbs if that
but what the hey, wasnt much more). They will structurally reinforce as
needed. The next step has several options relating to making it wheelchair
accessable (Mom is not in a wheelchair but has had hip replacement). That
one is a bit more problematic as it's a long thinish bathroom design.
Removal of the sink cabinet and replacement with those freestanding (sort of
pillar below) sinks would make room but it would be better to also shift the
toilet so its about 16 inches away and direct facing the entry door. Snce
the underpipes are not there, one fellow spec'ed out a raised platform
leading to the existing bottom-works and a low-seated toilet (on platform
mind you so it would be high enough overall).

Another idea is 'out of the box' but cheaper. It adapts the existing 1/2
bath to just move the door (non-structural load bearing wall involved) but
then it's off the master bedroom. Tub in one area accessable, and sink and
toilet in other room accessable.

The rest of the house other than needing a ramp to the back patio (3 inch
difference) and another to the garage (3 inch difference), is wheelchair
accessable grin. Need a small riser to the front door of about 2 inches.
Once inside, all is well.

I have several friends who use wheelchairs but are able to get up for short
distances (3-6 steps for all, some need a little help to steady them). The
shift is as much for them as for my Mom who doesnt even use a walker. The
1/2 bathroom is the one we use for them Butt wheelchair to door and it's
grab sink cabinet then twist around til seated. The only problem is no
hand-rail on both sides. They need to be able to get up with just one side
(sink cabinet) or need help. Once up, need to shuffle about 12 inches over
then about 12 back to the wheelchair.

Sorry, got on a roill there, well beyond your question but it's good info so
will leave it if another in interested.