Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default how to get rid of large paper hornet/wasp nest in attic?

On Nov 8, 8:42 am, Rob wrote:
There is a very large paper wasp or hornets nest inside my attic,
attached to the interior of the gable attic vent. It was active last
summer, but I don't see any activity now, so it may be abandoned. The
temperature here has been between 35-55 degrees. Never a hard freeze
yet. However, these things just freak me out, and I don't want to
chance waking up a dormant hive.

The nest is actually built up against the wall, not just hanging like
a tear drop, so I would have to scrape it off the wall or something.

I want to insulate my attic and also install a bathroom fan, so I'd
like to get rid of the nest first.

What is the best way to remove it without getting stung?

Rob

I am probably wrong and am too lazy this mornign to google it but...

I think that the only wasp that overwinters is the queen who starts a
new nest in the spring, lays eggs and thus starts a new colony. I get
those critters around here every year and have never seen an old nest
re-used. That does not apply to the other types of wasps.

Harry K