Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Top coat for outdoor stain??

Barry Kwasny wrote:
I made a gothic bench from douglas fir and stained it.
Assembly will be made with wedged through tenons and tusked through
tenons. I want to use it outside on our deck and realize from
other projects that polyurethane doesn't quite hold up like I would
want it to. Would shellac give a lasting protection on stained
fir? I was thinking
of a good quality car wax. At least that would not peel and I
could apply as needed.
Or, has anyone used something on the order of Thompson's
waterseal on outdoor furniture??

There is nothing - NOTHING - you can put on it that won't require
maintenance. Worst are film finishes (varnish, poly or alkyd;
lacquer; shellac); easiest to renew are oils. Wax? Dunno, probably
about as good as anything.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...