Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Top coat for outdoor stain??

"Barry Kwasny" wrote in message
I made a gothic bench from douglas fir and stained it. Assembly will
be made with wedged through tenons and tusked through tenons. I want to
use it outside on our deck and realize from other projects that
polyurethane doesn't quite hold up like I would want it to.
Would shellac give a lasting protection on stained fir? I was thinking
of a good quality car wax. At least that would not peel and I could apply
as needed.
Or, has anyone used something on the order of Thompson's waterseal on
outdoor furniture??

I've had both good and bad results with poly so I'd not use it in most
cases, especially direct sun.

Best results I've had is with Penofin Oil. UV protection, no film, quick
and easy to apply.