Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:11:26 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I live near an Amish community. They are required to use lights on
their horse drawn buggies at night. They use 12V marine batteries
which last about 7 to 10 hours. Then they have the non-Amish
neighbors charge them, or use a gas generator. I was talking to one
of them and he said he would like to connect a car alternator to the
wheels. I told him that seems doable. That got me thinking. Wiring
a delco with built in regulator is easy. There are two problems.

1. Mounting it so a pulley can be connected to the wooden spoke wheel
hub. I can sort of see a means to attach a belt pulley, but the belt
would have to connect to a shaft or it would be outside too far.

2. Alternators will not charge until they reach a specific RPM. I
doubt the buggy wheels would reach that. This means a gear assembly
would be needed to increase the rpm. I also heard that some tractor
alternators charge at a lower RPM, so I have to check into that.

Anyone have any suggestions? What could I steal a simple gear unit
from? How do I attach a pulley to a wooden hub, spoke wheel? Has
anyone ever done anything like this?

I'm having fun with this project....

Remember those bicycle lights that have a generator that rubs on the tire to
light the light? They might be AC output, so you'd need some diodes to charge
batteries, but they could be a good starting point. Add a "tire" to the
generator if the buggy wheels are not rubber. Obviously, the output current is
limited, so you either need small bulbs or multiple generators.

Bob

It looks like LED lights and solar panels WIN in this thread, and I
can surely relate to both as a good alternative. Solar panels are
cheap to run too, once they are paid for. I wish they made some
bicycle generators that were a higher output. I think those common
ones are just 1.5 volts (or less). Too bad they dont make a 12V model
(or do they?).

Anyone know of any sources on the web for higher output 12v bicycle
type generators? What is a good source for both solar panels and
bright headlight type LED lights?

One thing mentioned were lanterns. I ma not sure just why they dont
use them on their buggies. Maybe they do not meet the requirements of
the law. or maybe it's the fire hazzard, or just the cost of kerosene?
I will have to ask. I do see them sold on websites that sell parts
for horsedrawn buggies and wagons, but it seems they are more
decoration that useful.....

Thanks for all the advice.

Alvin