Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

According to Steve Barker :
I found it amusing when we visited amish country in Indiana. We went to
their modern type general store that has gas lights and sunpipes and
skylights. So far so good. Then, all around the perimeter of the store
are modern refrigerator cases. What runs them??? A/C power made from
inverters off a bank of about 100 car batteries being charged by the
thermoking reefer unit out on the semi trailer. I goes out to look. Upon
this thermoking unit are 6, Yes count them SIX, high output General motors
style alternators to charge this bank of batteries. A huge 500 gallon
diesel tank stands near by to feed this fuel monster. Now how is that being
disconnected from society??? It's rediculous to burn all that diesel when
all he'd have to do it hook up to the electricty.

Nobody said it has to be entirely logical. Or at least to us.

Most religions have a number of things in them that seem more than
a trifle inconsistent or counter-productive or varies in surprising
ways from one place to another. Or at least to outsiders who don't
understand what the point of the whole thing is.

This will demystify it considerably:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish#Modern_technology

There are many things to admire in their way of life. We could all
do with a little less advertising for example. I just don't like some
of the other facets...
--
Chris Lewis,