Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Wiring

On Oct 19, 12:47 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Proch wrote:
I recently began a project where I built a shelf and moved lots of my
computer stuff under the floor and into my basement. Part of it was a mount
a power strip with a 15' extension cord onto the ceiling and then use those
U shaped nails to neatly get the cord to the electrical socket.

What you just said you did (Nailing an extension cord) is quite likely
in violation of the electrical code in your area.

Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that may be
findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed change the
installation to be code compliant, even if it means having to hire a
licensed electrician to do it if DIY electrical work isn't permitted in
your area.

I realize there's a slim chance that tacking up that cord created a
serious fire hazard, but if G-d forbid there should be an electrical
fire in that area of your home, maybe caused by one of the pieces of
computer gear deciding to flare up, your insurer may do their best to
get out of paying if they can find evidence that you did something which
was not to code.

Peace, and don't take this personally,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

snipped

re "Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that
may be findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed
change the installation to be code compliant..."

Or at least re-post and *tell* us that you changed it. ;-)