Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_3_] Steve Barker[_3_] is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

I found it amusing when we visited amish country in Indiana. We went to
their modern type general store that has gas lights and sunpipes and
skylights. So far so good. Then, all around the perimeter of the store
are modern refrigerator cases. What runs them??? A/C power made from
inverters off a bank of about 100 car batteries being charged by the
thermoking reefer unit out on the semi trailer. I goes out to look. Upon
this thermoking unit are 6, Yes count them SIX, high output General motors
style alternators to charge this bank of batteries. A huge 500 gallon
diesel tank stands near by to feed this fuel monster. Now how is that being
disconnected from society??? It's rediculous to burn all that diesel when
all he'd have to do it hook up to the electricty.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to HerHusband :

I don't know much about the Amish, but I thought the idea was to avoid
modern technology? Couldn't they use lanterns as was done before
electrical
lights were available?

It's not so much an avoidance of "modern technology", it's more of
an avoidance of depending on outside resources. Electricity isn't
as much of an issue as being connected to the grid is. Tho, it
depends on "which" Amish you're talking about. There are different
levels of interpretation, and different levels of willingness to
adapt to the modern world.

Eg: they won't have a car. But most won't turn down a ride in one
if it's going somewhere they need to go, and some aren't shy about
asking for a ride ;-)

Eg: many Amish in the US came from Canada (south west Ontario) when
Canada imposed refrigeration requirements on dairy production. When the
corresponding US states imposed refrigeration, some Amish moved either
to states that didn't require it, or to Mexico. Others adapted and
stayed where they are. Most Amish, for example, refuse to have a
telephone. But as an example of "modern compromise", some will have an
outdoor phone for calls pertaining to their dairy operation.

My wife and her sister bed-and-breakfasted with Pennsylvania
Amish farm families, and recounted the amusing incident where
the Amish family's teenage daughter had to stand outside in the rain
at the "dairy phone" to talk to one of her friends.

I thought of bicycle generators (car-size alternators or generators
will sometimes present too much load to the available horse power ;-)
too.

However, I don't think they'd be terribly effective long-term
solutions. They'd always be diddling with them. Something
simple and mostly maintenance free is better.

Perhaps LED lights and a smallish solar panel. Should allow them
to use smaller/cheaper batteries too.
--
Chris Lewis,