Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

wrote

I live near an Amish community. They are required to use lights on
their horse drawn buggies at night. They use 12V marine batteries

of them and he said he would like to connect a car alternator to the
wheels. I told him that seems doable. That got me thinking. Wiring

Anyone have any suggestions? What could I steal a simple gear unit
from? How do I attach a pulley to a wooden hub, spoke wheel? Has
anyone ever done anything like this?

Ineresting! What comes t my mind is the old bicycle lights. You know, the
ones that run off the spokes hitting the wheels? They generaly stop when
you stop, but might that be somesort of lead? I've seen ones for sale that
charge a small accessory battery so it runs for a bit when stopped.

I'e also seen solar powered bicycle lights, charge during the day stuff. I
didnt have much luck with the one I got, but then I only had a west/south
facing window to charge it in ad seldom got 'direct sun'. They don't give
alot of light, but several of them might do the trick as well as fit the
lifestye?