Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist drill bits

Phisherman wrote:
I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits typically
Made in China?

Different purposes. Brad-point drills are great for minimizing tearout
in face grain. They're also easier to locate precisely due to the
center spur.

They can both be HSS, high carbon steel, carbide-tipped, or whatever
other material you want. They can be made wherever.

Lee Valley has very nice Made in USA twist drills in HSS. Their HSS
brad-points start out as these twist drills, then LV grinds a spur and
lips on them.

Chris