Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam Calvin Henry-Cotnam is offline

Default Q on Romex gauges and outlets

Mamba ) said...

Call me curious, but just why is using the holes such a bad idea? Seems
pretty straightforward and idiot-proof, assuming the wire fits ;-)

The holes on a spec grade device (or on GFCI outlets) are FINE to use.
As others have mentioned, you have to tighten the screw, so the wire is
squeezed between two flat plates of metal.

The ones on cheaper devices are the problem. The connection is made by
a pair of pieces of metal that "bite" into the wire and hold in a ratchet
fashion. The "bite" weakens the wire a bit, and when you move it a bit
to stuff the device into the box with the wiring behind it, the wire gets
weakened a bit more.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"