Posted to alt.home.repair
The Freon Cowboy The Freon Cowboy is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

look into a generator as compared to an alternator , produces voltage at lower
rpms , years ago , cabooses on trains had a similar system
the wheels would turn a generator which would charge storage batteries
for 12 volt systems on the caboose ,
as far as mounting the drive gear or pulley , look into mounting a pulley
directly to the spokes with the center of the pulley , lining up with the
center of the drive wheel , then its a simple matter of mounting the gen or
alt , and using a belt ,
a fully loaded alternator will require a bit of horsepower to keep it turning
and you may actually find that it will produce so much drag as to actually
cause to drive whell to lock up once it fully enrgizes , thats why i suggest
using a generator ,

cant beleive a fully charged deep cycle would only last 8 hours in this
instance , unless they are using headlights also ,

wrote:
I live near an Amish community. They are required to use lights onstheir

horse drawn buggies at night. They use 12V marine batteriesnwhich last about
7 to 10 hours. Then they have the non-Amishoneighbors charge them, or use a
gas generator. I was talking to oneeof them and he said he would like to
connect a car alternator to thetwheels. I told him that seems doable. That
got me thinking. Wiringba delco with built in regulator is easy. There are
two problems. in1. Mounting it so a pulley can be connected to the wooden
spoke wheel