Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default Q on Romex gauges and outlets

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:37:33 -0800, "Mamba" wrote:

I added a new outlet in my basement this past weekend. I ganged it off an
existing 15 amp circuit and put the outlet below the light switch. I wired
it with 14/2 Romex.

I had intended to use a 15 amp GFI outlet, since I may be using long
extension cords from this outlet for possible outdoor uses. When I stripped
the final 1/2" or so off the Hot and Neutral, I found that the wire appeared
to be too "skinny" to connect into the holes in the GFI outlet. In other
words, the wire bottomed out in the hole but didn't "catch". I realize I
could have used the screw attachments, but decided against it, thinking
there might be an incompatibility somehwere.

I pulled out a standard outlet and the wires fit as expected. Still
wouldn't mind using the GFI if I can figure out why it didn't work right.
Can somebody set me straight?

Tnx
Gary

Every GFI I have ever used has holes on the back that clamp the wire
when you tighten the screws. You dont wrap the wire on the screws
like a standard outlet. Strip wire as shown in device or
instructions. Stick it in the hole according to the color code.
Tighten the screws. You're done.....
These are some of the easiest devices to wire.