Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default Q on Romex gauges and outlets

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:34:34 -0800, "Mamba" wrote:

Call me curious, but just why is using the holes such a bad idea? Seems
pretty straightforward and idiot-proof, assuming the wire fits ;-)

I've had outlets (not switches so often) go "bad" on me, and when I
pulled them out to check the wiring, the problem ALWAYS was that the
backstabbed wires had over time pullled out. Reattaching them
properly using the screws solved each problem. I, of course, was not
the one who installed the outlets using the holes; I only use the
screws because I only want to do the job once.