Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Sulfate removal - Sulfer Smell in water

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:49:19 -0800, Zephyr
wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have an on going issue with my well water that I wonder if you could
help me solve.

The problem is the rotten egg sulfer smell in my water.
here's the situation. The Smell exists consistantly at 1 upstairs
cold water faucet, It does not occur on the lower level cold
faucets. ( all the taps have seperate cold and hot controls) The
faucet it smells at is the most commonly used faucet the other
upstairs faucet is rarely used, and does not share the smell.

At times the hot water in all taps/shower heads will smell of sulfer,
and I have taken to pouring Hydrogen Peroxide into the ho****er heater
every now and then when the smell gets stronger. That has worked, but
usually wears off in a month or so. I have replaced the annode rod
with a different type, Its not aluminum, but I can't remember what it
was anymore. But when I pull it to pour in the H2O2 it has a nice
slimey white goop on it.

To try and kill the smell in the upstairs cold tap I have put hydrogen
peroxide in the the whole house filter canister. That has helped, but
only for a day or two. When I put the hydrogen peroxide in the filter
I get black flecks in the water for the next day as well. My
assumption is that the black flecks are from the reaction between the
H2O2 and the sulfate that I have in my water.

I just got my annual County water test results back and it shows a
sulfate concentration of 65.5 mg/L Fluoride Nitrite Nitrate were all
not detected, and Chloride was 5.2 mg/L

What steps can I take to help permanently get rid of the sulfer
smell? is it a result of the sulfate that I have in my water?

I'd like to have any solution apply to the whole house, and am not
excited by the idea of having a seperate POU RO tap. Would an
activated Carbon filter help? or an anion exchanger or ???

Dave

I temporarily moved into a house that had well water. The sulfur
smell was horrible, but I got used to it after a few weeks. It's
actually good to drink, good for your skin, but not-so-good for
washing clothes/dishes. If you want a better taste, you can get a
pitcher with replacement filters. Not a good idea to use hydrogen
peroxide, though.