Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sulfate removal - Sulfer Smell in water

Hey everyone,

I have an on going issue with my well water that I wonder if you could
help me solve.

The problem is the rotten egg sulfer smell in my water.
here's the situation. The Smell exists consistantly at 1 upstairs
cold water faucet, It does not occur on the lower level cold
faucets. ( all the taps have seperate cold and hot controls) The
faucet it smells at is the most commonly used faucet the other
upstairs faucet is rarely used, and does not share the smell.

At times the hot water in all taps/shower heads will smell of sulfer,
and I have taken to pouring Hydrogen Peroxide into the ho****er heater
every now and then when the smell gets stronger. That has worked, but
usually wears off in a month or so. I have replaced the annode rod
with a different type, Its not aluminum, but I can't remember what it
was anymore. But when I pull it to pour in the H2O2 it has a nice
slimey white goop on it.

To try and kill the smell in the upstairs cold tap I have put hydrogen
peroxide in the the whole house filter canister. That has helped, but
only for a day or two. When I put the hydrogen peroxide in the filter
I get black flecks in the water for the next day as well. My
assumption is that the black flecks are from the reaction between the
H2O2 and the sulfate that I have in my water.

I just got my annual County water test results back and it shows a
sulfate concentration of 65.5 mg/L Fluoride Nitrite Nitrate were all
not detected, and Chloride was 5.2 mg/L

What steps can I take to help permanently get rid of the sulfer
smell? is it a result of the sulfate that I have in my water?

I'd like to have any solution apply to the whole house, and am not
excited by the idea of having a seperate POU RO tap. Would an
activated Carbon filter help? or an anion exchanger or ???

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote:
[...]

Disclaimer: I'm not a well expert nor chemist.

I used to go thru the ritual of pouring disinfectant
into the heater. As you note, it's helpful temporarily.

I now have a home-brew chlorinator feeding dilute bleach solution
into the storage tank inlet. This has been a very effective
fix for some years now. (I understand that there are better
chemicals to use rather than plain bleach but it does work.)

My $.02

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have an on going issue with my well water that I wonder if you could
help me solve.

The problem is the rotten egg sulfer smell in my water.
here's the situation. The Smell exists consistantly at 1 upstairs
cold water faucet, It does not occur on the lower level cold
faucets. ( all the taps have seperate cold and hot controls) The
faucet it smells at is the most commonly used faucet the other
upstairs faucet is rarely used, and does not share the smell.

Maybe smell is actually coming from drains. Drain cleaner would solve that.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 9:49 am, Zephyr wrote:
[...]

I think the real question is where is the smell coming from? If your
well has a hydrogen sulfide issue, then you should smell that in every
water source hot or cold. If it is only from a single faucet, you
have a plumbing issue...though I could not imagine what that would
be.

I had a nasty hydrogen sulfide issue and I tried a whole house
backflushing pyrolox filter. I have great water now that is tasteless
and odorless. I bought the setup from budge****er.com and it cost
about $600. I can tell you that has been one of the best investments
I have made in my house to date. They have a version of pyrolox
called terminox.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey everyone,

I have an on going issue with my well water that I wonder if you could
help me solve.

I don't know how long you have been there, but you get used to it. I don't
even notice the stench from my shower anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:49:19 -0800, Zephyr
wrote:

[...]

I temporarily moved into a house that had well water. The sulfur
smell was horrible, but I got used to it after a few weeks. It's
actually good to drink, good for your skin, but not-so-good for
washing clothes/dishes. If you want a better taste, you can get a
pitcher with replacement filters. Not a good idea to use hydrogen
peroxide, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same problem - and it is NOT the drains. The smell comes from the
vanity sink the most, sometimes the bathroom sink, but never the kitchen
sink. The cold water seems to smell worse than the hot, but is really strong
until it runs for a minute, then goes away. Should I bleach the well or
what?
~Gizmofiddler

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 12, 7:39 am, "Gizmofiddler" wrote:
I have the same problem - and it is NOT the drains. The smell comes from the
vanity sink the most, sometimes the bathroom sink, but never the kitchen
sink. The cold water seems to smell worse than the hot, but is really strong
until it runs for a minute, then goes away. Should I bleach the well or
what?
~Gizmofiddler

Speedy Jim said he chlorinates is water using diluted bleach. That is
very effective for removing sulfer. You just inject it into your
water as early as possible to give it as much contact-time as
possible. You rig the pump to run when you well-pump runs so it only
injects into new water.

You can leave the sulfer in or you can filter it out after
chlorination.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 1:39 pm, "Gizmofiddler" wrote:
I have the same problem - and it is NOT the drains. The smell comes from the
vanity sink the most, sometimes the bathroom sink, but never the kitchen
sink. The cold water seems to smell worse than the hot, but is really strong
until it runs for a minute, then goes away. Should I bleach the well or
what?
~Gizmofiddler

I know you're certain, but this is the classic symptom when bacteria
in the drain (usually in the trap) release the smell. It is in some
drains and not in others. It goes away when you run the water
(because there's only a limited amount produced at a time. Bacteria
are small.)

It's easy to test. Pour bleach in the drains. If that doesn't make
any difference it wasn't the drains.

Copper Sulfate effect on Tree Bill C. Home Repair 22 July 22nd 18 02:15 AM
Water Smell MLD Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 10:46 PM
Chemical smell in well water Rand Reed Home Repair 44 January 5th 07 05:03 PM
sulfer smell in water.... TEAM 3M Home Repair 6 April 22nd 05 03:24 AM