Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to calculate concrete in a tub

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:00 am, wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:18 am, Big_Jake wrote:

A yard of concrete is 2 tons. Half a yard is 1 ton. Even half a yard
will overload any compact truck, or F150. Your idea of trucking the
concrete yourself is CRAZY.
This is a common misconception about the capacity of a truck. The
slang "half ton" pickup dates back to the 1950's, and modern trucks
have a capacity way beyond this.

You can't believe all the hype in the advertisements. There is a LOT
of fine print in figuring out how much a truck can haul.

Your typical "half ton" pickup these days has a useful payload
capacity of 1500 pounds, give or take. This is Gross Vehicle Weight
Rating (GVWR) minus the truck's actual empty weight.

I have hauled 2 yards of gravel in my "3/4 ton" pickup, and that is
6000 lbs. Probably a little over capacity, but doable.

A "LITTLE" over? Try 3 to 4 times the typical payload capacity of a
3/4 ton pickup. Most of 'em are so heavy these days with options,
diesel engines, 4x4, mega-super-hugeo-cabs that many have less payload
capacity than many half tons. Typical is around 2000lbs.

The rated load capacity on PUs is way conservative. The main limiting
factor is the quality of the tire, after that comes suspension.
Hauling a ton (net weight, not gross) on a 1/2 ton PU is no big deal
with proper tires.

I am not sure about your GWVR of 1500. I always thought that the GVW
was the rig plus whatever load was on it. ...

It is and is what he said -- he said a payload capacity of 1500 which is
computed as difference between GVWR and tare weight.

But, payload ratings are so variable depending on what options are on a
truck there is no general although the plain-vanilla, cheapest models
aren't very high simply because to get the price down they have the
minimum suspensions made.