Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to calculate concrete in a tub

It's getting toward winter and I want to pour concrete in a feedroom
on the rear of my barn. It's just a small 6 x 12 foot addition, which
is slightly less than a cubic yard. The concrete company dont want to
deliver such a small amount, but will if I pay almost double the per
yard price. I have been planning to pour a driveway extension in
front of my garage and was going to just add the amount for this shed
to the total and do it all at once. But I see now that there is no
way I am going to get that driveway done until next spring. At the
same time I want to do the shed now.

I checked into bagged QuikCrete, and the cost for that is even worse
than the delivered stuff. I could mix my own by hand and that would
be cheaper, but I need to get this job done before the ground freezes.

This concrete company said that they often have left over concrete at
the end of the day and said they would call me when they have some and
would fill a tub on the back of my pickup truck, and it would be
cheap. I like the sound of that, and honestly I did not want to pour
that feedroom in all one pour anyhow, because there is no way to
trowel it indoors without walking in it. So, doing it in 2 or 3
pieces would be perfect.

My question is how can I calculate the amount of concrete I can put
into a 100 gallon livestock tank. I'm no good at math. The tank is
designed to hold 100 gallons of water. And for that matter, what will
a 5 gallon pail hold. When they get excess, I will drive there, fill
this 100 gallon tank and if there's a little more, I'll fill some 5
gallon buckets. I will have to use buckets to transport the stuff from
the truck to my wheelbarrow, or just carry them right to the floor.
There should be 20 five gal pails in that tank.

OK all your math experts ........

Thanks for all help

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:50:21 GMT, "dadiOH"

My question is how can I calculate the amount of concrete I can put
into a 100 gallon livestock tank.

8 gallons = 1 cubic foot so the 100 gallon tank will hold 12.5 cubic
feet...not quite 1/2 yard.

Thanks.
That would do about half my shed, and thats what I'd like to do is
half at a time. 2 of these tubs should do it. I always toss a few
smaller rocks on the bottom of the forms before pouring anyhow and
that all saves concrete.

Do you happen to know what a cu. foot (or 8 gallon pail) weighs?
I am trying to figure the weight of that 100 gallon tub so I dont
overload my truck.

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:00 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:50:21 GMT, "dadiOH"

My question is how can I calculate the amount of concrete I can put
into a 100 gallon livestock tank.

8 gallons = 1 cubic foot so the 100 gallon tank will hold 12.5 cubic
feet...not quite 1/2 yard.

1 cu ft = 7.5 gallons
100 gallons = 13.33 cu ft

Thanks.
That would do about half my shed, and thats what I'd like to do is
half at a time. 2 of these tubs should do it. I always toss a few
smaller rocks on the bottom of the forms before pouring anyhow and
that all saves concrete.

Do you happen to know what a cu. foot (or 8 gallon pail) weighs?
I am trying to figure the weight of that 100 gallon tub so I dont
overload my truck.

Concrete weighs about 150 lbs/cu ft
13.33 cu ft * 150 lbs/cu ft = one ton exactly

--
Regards,

You are going to have a heck of a time getting 100 gallons of hot
concrete home and shoveled into your forms before it starts setting
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 6, 3:34 am, wrote:
[...]

What about slipping the driver a $20 and asking him to swing by at the
end of the day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alvin,

The concrete company dont want to deliver such a small amount,
but will if I pay almost double the per yard price.

You might want to check if there are any "mix on site" companies in your
area. Basically, it's a high tech truck that holds the raw ingredients
(cement, sand, water) and they can mix any quantity you want (usually a 1/4
yard minimum, plus a trip charge) right on site. They'll do small
quantities, there's no waste, and they can provide extra if you
underestimated. We've used them for years around here and wouldn't do it
any other way now.

Alternatively, many rental yards have concrete trailers where they supply
the concrete and you tow it home. I've never used these services, so I
don't know what it costs. But you would need a truck to pull the trailer.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 3:34 am, wrote:
It's getting toward winter and I want to pour concrete in a feedroom
on the rear of my barn.

How do you think professionals trowel out large pads? They pour
hundreds of square feet at a time, not just what they can reach in an
arm's length.

Rent a small "bull float" or build one yourself out of a short 6" wide
pine plank and some firring strips for a handle. Once you level the
concrete with a screed board, you use the float to smooth it out by
carefully gliding the float over the surface, pushing the stones down
and bringing the "cream" to the surface. Unless you're looking for a
mirror finish on this floor, that may be all you need to do.

Let it set up for a while.

Use some large pieces of 2" styrofoam insulation to kneel on so you
don't mess up the setting concrete while you trowel, if you trowel.
You don't trowel the concrete until it's set up enough to support your
weight on boards anyway. If you're using a power trowel, you don't
trowel until you can WALK on the concrete. Keep the trowel wet and
work more "cream" to the surface to further smooth the finish, if
that's what you want.

A yard of concrete is 2 tons. Half a yard is 1 ton. Even half a yard
will overload any compact truck, or F150. Your idea of trucking the
concrete yourself is CRAZY. You'll never get it unloaded, screeded,
and floated before it sets up all by yourself. Do you realize how many
shovelfuls, bucketfuls, wheelbarrow loads a half a yard of concrete
is?

Look in your yellow pages. You may be able to find a ready mix company
that specializes in small batches, or better yet, one that has
rentable trailers that hold up to a yard of concrete and mix it as you
drive home. Or, just pay the long buck and have a yard delivered.
You're just going to end up with a big mess on your hands if you try
to do ready-mix on the cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
[...]

up.- Hide quoted text -

I suspect it would be pretty well on the way to setting by the time he
starts loading if it is a 'left over batch'. That stuff will have
gone to a site, sat a bit while getting set up, back to the plant... I
certainly wouldn't expect to wind up with quality 'crete that way.

I haven't had much delivered (just two house perimeter foundations)
but they never took any back, any excess was dumped somewhere on site.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

A yard of concrete is 2 tons. Half a yard is 1 ton. Even half a yard
will overload any compact truck, or F150. Your idea of trucking the
concrete yourself is CRAZY.

This is a common misconception about the capacity of a truck. The
slang "half ton" pickup dates back to the 1950's, and modern trucks
have a capacity way beyond this.

I have hauled 2 yards of gravel in my "3/4 ton" pickup, and that is
6000 lbs. Probably a little over capacity, but doable.

You'll never get it unloaded, screeded,
and floated before it sets up all by yourself. Do you realize how many
shovelfuls, bucketfuls, wheelbarrow loads a half a yard of concrete
is?

I couldn't agree with you more on that. The OP needs a couple of
helpers.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 10:18 am, Big_Jake wrote:
A yard of concrete is 2 tons. Half a yard is 1 ton. Even half a yard
will overload any compact truck, or F150. Your idea of trucking the
concrete yourself is CRAZY.

This is a common misconception about the capacity of a truck. The
slang "half ton" pickup dates back to the 1950's, and modern trucks
have a capacity way beyond this.

You can't believe all the hype in the advertisements. There is a LOT
of fine print in figuring out how much a truck can haul.

Your typical "half ton" pickup these days has a useful payload
capacity of 1500 pounds, give or take. This is Gross Vehicle Weight
Rating (GVWR) minus the truck's actual empty weight.

I have hauled 2 yards of gravel in my "3/4 ton" pickup, and that is
6000 lbs. Probably a little over capacity, but doable.

A "LITTLE" over? Try 3 to 4 times the typical payload capacity of a
3/4 ton pickup. Most of 'em are so heavy these days with options,
diesel engines, 4x4, mega-super-hugeo-cabs that many have less payload
capacity than many half tons. Typical is around 2000lbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 9:00 am, wrote:
[...]

The rated load capacity on PUs is way conservative. The main limiting
factor is the quality of the tire, after that comes suspension.
Hauling a ton (net weight, not gross) on a 1/2 ton PU is no big deal
with proper tires.

I am not sure about your GWVR of 1500. I always thought that the GVW
was the rig plus whatever load was on it. Thus GVWR of 1500 would
just about eliminate hauling anything. Way back when in the days of
yore, we had to register PUs here with a gvr lic - common was 6,000.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:00 am, wrote:
[...]

It is and is what he said -- he said a payload capacity of 1500 which is
computed as difference between GVWR and tare weight.

But, payload ratings are so variable depending on what options are on a
truck there is no general although the plain-vanilla, cheapest models
aren't very high simply because to get the price down they have the
minimum suspensions made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A "LITTLE" over? Try 3 to 4 times the typical payload capacity of a
3/4 ton pickup. Most of 'em are so heavy these days with options,
diesel engines, 4x4, mega-super-hugeo-cabs that many have less payload
capacity than many half tons. Typical is around 2000lbs.

According to the GMC website, their current 3/4 ton has a capacity of
3800+ lbs, including driver, passengers, and cargo.

So, OK, not "a little" over, but not 3-4 times the capacity. My truck
is bare bones, not even power windows.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
The rated load capacity on PUs is way conservative. The main limiting
factor is the quality of the tire, after that comes suspension.
Hauling a ton (net weight, not gross) on a 1/2 ton PU is no big deal
with proper tires.

And the suspension. I once hauled a load of stone in a Ford F150 that was
bottomed out. Glad I only had to go four miles like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 6:56 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message
The rated load capacity on PUs is way conservative. The main limiting
factor is the quality of the tire, after that comes suspension.
Hauling a ton (net weight, not gross) on a 1/2 ton PU is no big deal
with proper tires.

And the suspension. I once hauled a load of stone in a Ford F150 that was
bottomed out. Glad I only had to go four miles like that.

Yep, I put 22 #1 RR ties on my 62 chev 1/2 ton and hauled them 30
miles. I also had to replace all 4 shocks the next day.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 5:06 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
A "LITTLE" over? Try 3 to 4 times the typical payload capacity of a
3/4 ton pickup. Most of 'em are so heavy these days with options,
diesel engines, 4x4, mega-super-hugeo-cabs that many have less payload
capacity than many half tons. Typical is around 2000lbs.

According to the GMC website, their current 3/4 ton has a capacity of
3800+ lbs, including driver, passengers, and cargo.

So, OK, not "a little" over, but not 3-4 times the capacity. My truck
is bare bones, not even power windows.

JK

And that 3800 is very conservative. Usual manufacturers CYA.

Harry K