Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler system underground leak help

On Nov 5, 12:31 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Dave FL wrote:
Yep, got a leak somewhere. Did the timing thing with the water meter
and found the three largest zones use most of the water.

My Problem: water bill came to $400.00 one month and $500.00 the next
month. Stopped using the sprinklers and dropped to $50 - $60/Mo.
My Guess: underground sprinkler leak
My Question: What is the easiest way to check the lines for a leak?
My Answer (up for review): Take out the sprinkler heads in each zone
and cap off the line, run the sprinkler water and see if meter turns.

Need help to see if this is the best way to check the lines, or will a
divining rod be better?

Dave FL

Does your neighbor have a pool?

Is there a new bog in your neighborhood?

200,000 gallons of water over two months is a LOT of water.

200,000 gallons = 27,000 cu ft = 10'x45'x6' pool, or a little less than half
an Olympic swimming pool.- Hide quoted text -

For two months of irrigation, that actually isn't such an incredible
amount of water. Who knows how big an area he's watering? If it's a
1/2 acre, 22,000 sq ft, the 27000 cubic ft of water over two months,
works out to 1.8 inchs of water a week. It's normally recommended to
put down 1" per week. Some people over do it, plus if it's during
the hottest months in Fl, then it may not be unusual at all. Now, if
he only has a small lot and is doing minimal watering, etc, then I
agree something is wrong.

There is a lot of info missing, besides area being watered, we don't
know if this is a sudden new problem, been gradually getting worse,
did watering amount change, etc.