Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default OT - sewing machine repair

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
Jordan wrote:

Bit of a sucker for sewing machines myself

I learned a bit of sewing from my mom and sister, both very talented, and
have been looking for a machine for patching jeans, etc. Found a beautiful
Phaff with all the original accessories, manuals, and carrying case, for a
mere $50.

Mom did some checking for me and it was made between the early 50's and
early 60's, but has a low serial number, so likely it's older than I am.

I did a bit of research, and these sell for up to $750 depending on
condition!

The sewing machine I really want is the antique Singer cobbler's sewing
machine that has been in the family since the 1920's. Over the past few
decades it's sewn up riding boots, leathers, and seat covers, and ought to
last another century!

Jon

I got a Singer 111W155 Walking Foot that was manufactured in 1957 according
to the serial number. It will sew a lot of stuff, including leather, but I
bought it to do canvas awnings and shade cloth material, which it will do
without breaking a sweat. I have yet to break it out and try it. I do know
an EXCELLENT sewing machine repairman in Las Vegas that has been fixing and
redoing machines for thirty odd years. I will probably take it to him first
just to be sure.

Problem is, I got the base and motor, and everything that came with it new,
and it' a moose to move. And I probably paid too much for it ............
$250.

Looking forward to making Sunbrella house awnings all around this summer
with square metal frames.

Steve