Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default *Another* Bosch dishwasher problem!

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Calvin wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:30 pm, Lobster wrote:

snipped tale of knackered machine

I don't know this model but it's also possible that it has an overflow/
leak detector which has tripped. On my AEG dishwasher there is a
float activated switch in the base. If water builds up there it trips
and runs the pump continously - even when the machine is switched off
- so that you have to actually unplug it from the wall the stop it.
The detector is manual reset so that just mopping out the water isn't
enough, you have to reset the switch too.
If I were in your situation I'd take the panels off and have a look in
the base, If you can see a large-ish lump of expanded polysytrene
look for a switch activated by it. If it's wet there or if you may
have knocked it during previous maintenence then you'll need to reset
it.

Hoo-rah! That was exactly the problem. I dried out the base, and it's
now working fine. Thanks very much indeed as you've definitely saved me
an unnecessary engineer call-out (and I'm very relieved I hadn't started
de-soldering PCBs!! ;-) )

It's odd that this happened just at the same time as the pump got the
crud in... the only thing I can think of is that the float switch was
teetering on the threshold of tripping, and maybe I put my weight on the
inside of the machine enough to send it over the edge. God knows where
the leak is coming from, but judging by the yuck factor of the leaked
fluid it looks like a very slow one. (Watch out for the next
installment on uk.d-i-y in a couple of months: "How do you track down a
slow leak in a dishwasher?")

Well, I'm back - but in just less 1 month - to ask "How do you track
down a slow leak in a dishwasher"?!

The machine tripped again, and the base tray of my Bosch is again filled
with water (as in, about 3-4 mm deep), so there is indeed a small leak.
I have the side panels off, but can't for the life of me see where
it might be coming from.

Where do you start?

The internals of the base of the machine are incredibly cramped; there's
no room to see anything or get tools in there. I can't even get in to
dry out the base tray properly (the whole base tray is wet), and I can't
see anything else (pipes, connectors etc that is damp or leaking).

I'm sure a dishwasher engineer would be able to resolve this - but how??

Thanks
David