CWLee

Default Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts?

Can anyone here point me toward an authoritative history of
hex head nuts and bolts? I see square nuts and bolts in old
machinery and tools in museums, but I don't think I've seen
a hex head nut or bolt in anything built before 1900. Does
anyone know who invented/developed the hex head nuts and
bolts? When, where, why, etc? Any info on this topic
appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
CWLee