Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:27:40 -0000, wrote:

reverse is good when sanding frazzy wood. I sand in one direction,
then sand reversed.

This was my thinking as well

I'll try to substitute for George he
As he's said a few times here, it's easier to reverse your drill or
whatever
you're using for sanding than change the rotation/direction of the lathe..

George would have said it better, though..

Or he might have reminded you that what you picked up by reversing was
compensated by laying down what you picked up in the other direction.

Since you can sand with or against the rotation with a disk sander, you are
effectively sanding either direction unless your lathe speed and sander
speed are in synch. Why you would want to do this when the most effective
direction is closer to 90 degrees to the rotation is beyond me. Sand to 320
under power then cut along the grain by hand to hide the remaining
scratches.