Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

You've gotten tons of advice, just one more thing.

Leave enuf money in your budget to get a good scroll chuck. They
ought to sell lathes with those in place, they are so handy. I turned
for two year using faceplates and glue blocks, and when I finally got
a chuck, the light went on.

BTW, I'm using a Jet 1442 with the reeve's drive, and have made a LOT
of shavings with it. I'm happy with it, but will buy another one when
I win the lottery.

Old Guy

On Nov 4, 7:19 pm, wrote:
Hello all ...

I am new to this group(s) but have been woodworking for over 30 years
and am seeking advice about purchasing a new wood lathe

I used to work with old single speed ... stationary head ... 1.5 hp
Rockwell 12 inch lathe I realize how much I miss it

Info that may help with your advice

* My budget is about $1000 (for the lathe itself)

* I have searched Usenet looking for recent similar postings

* I have been to woodcraft and they advise the Jet VS Pro
(JWL-1442VSK)

* I have compared features ... but it has been so long since I have
worked with a wood lathe ... I really feel I need the
advice of professionals

* At present I have no particular project in mind ... but in the past
I have done things such as bowls ... pedestals ... table legs ... and
stair rails ... so I am looking for something sturdy and versatile

What features should I look for?

* 360 degree swivel headstock?

* Variable speed (how variable)?

* Reversible turning direction?

As to Lathe tools ... Like any cutting tool ... the better the
quality ... the longer the edge will hold ...

Any advice as to brand would also help here ... I personally use CASE
or Miller Falls wood chisels and find them both to be excellent

What is your advice as far as which tools to start out with?

I looked at the Sorby tools at Woodcraft and liked the heft of the
tool ... but the handles seem a bit cheap

Thanks for your time ... sorry for all the questions from a newbie ...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Sorry for the delay ... was delayed by an emergency at work

No Way, Ecnerwal & Nailshooter41 - Thank you ... you have set my mind
at ease with regards to the bed extension for the Nova

Fred - Sorry I was not clear ... earlier I said I was in Colorado
Springs ... yes that does sound like a bargain

Mac - Thanks for the advice about the turners meeting ...

Any thoughts about the

Jet 1642EVS-2 http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=60031

or the

Jet 1642EVS http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5433

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:

Sorry for the delay ... was delayed by an emergency at work

No Way, Ecnerwal & Nailshooter41 - Thank you ... you have set my mind
at ease with regards to the bed extension for the Nova

Fred - Sorry I was not clear ... earlier I said I was in Colorado
Springs ... yes that does sound like a bargain

Mac - Thanks for the advice about the turners meeting ...

Any thoughts about the

Jet 1642EVS-2
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=60031

or the

Jet 1642EVS http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5433

Both are good choices, I looked that them real hard before buying the
Nova DVR-XP. When I hit a deal on the Nova I went that way

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:32:19 -0800, Old Guy wrote:

You've gotten tons of advice, just one more thing.

Leave enuf money in your budget to get a good scroll chuck. They
ought to sell lathes with those in place, they are so handy. I turned
for two year using faceplates and glue blocks, and when I finally got
a chuck, the light went on.

BTW, I'm using a Jet 1442 with the reeve's drive, and have made a LOT
of shavings with it. I'm happy with it, but will buy another one when
I win the lottery.

Old Guy

Great point... I waited 02 years before seeing the light and buying a Oneway
Talon for my shopsmith..
It's been on my Jet mini and now on my 1442..
I'm so addicted to using it, I bought a 2nd one so I don't have to share when a
"guest turner" is in the shop...

It WAS a bit of sticker shock when I realized that the chuck and a extra jaw set
cost as much as the mini, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:33:50 -0800, wrote:

Sorry for the delay ... was delayed by an emergency at work

No Way, Ecnerwal & Nailshooter41 - Thank you ... you have set my mind
at ease with regards to the bed extension for the Nova

Fred - Sorry I was not clear ... earlier I said I was in Colorado
Springs ... yes that does sound like a bargain

Mac - Thanks for the advice about the turners meeting ...

Any thoughts about the

Jet 1642EVS-2
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=60031

or the

Jet 1642EVS http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5433

Both look nice, but if I was looking long term and could throw $500 or so more
in, this is the lathe that I lust after:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5485

I really like the headstock design.. no belts, second shaft, etc...
Seems like a lot less probability of vibration...
I also like the computer sensing drag or a catch..

OTOH, that would double your gift/out of pocket cost..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning, rec.woodworking

Thank you all for the helpful and friendly advice

I thought it would be best to actually do some work on the
machines ... so I went to Woodcraft ... of course ...

Didnt get to work with the Nova ... but the Powermatic with the DC
motor they have ... according to Woodcraft ... performs like the
DVR ... but is MUCH more stable ... and has a longer bet

So I tested the JET EVS and decided to go with this ... as I really
like the variable speed all the way down to 0

I just made the purchase ... now 2 weeks to wait for pickup at
Woodcraft

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5433

Thanks again to everyone
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Those 2 weeks will seem like 6 months... been there, done that..

Actually ... the 2 weeks is welcome ... as there is no place in the
shop for it at present

I need to build a permanent wood bin and move it to the enclosed back
porch (current wood bin for the past 12 years is the box in which my
POS Craftsman Constructor Grade Radial saw was shipped)

Once I have a place (which should be this weekend ... I will start
getting anxious

465lbs dead weight ... I am going to have to get help with this
one

I will be attending my first meeting of the local woodturners club ...
tomorrow night ... http://ppwoodturners.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If this needs to be a new thread ... please let me know

1) My EVS is setup and running well

2) I now need a chuck ... any advice? ... 3 jaw ... 4 Jaw ... size ?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
If this needs to be a new thread ... please let me know

1) My EVS is setup and running well

2) I now need a chuck ... any advice? ... 3 jaw ... 4 Jaw ... size ?

4-jaw scroll-type. Your flavor. Theyre are some Chinese clones out there
which receive high marks and the old familiar names as well. I'm Nova,
because it was about the only reasonable game in town when I got my first
one. Haven't found a reason to change, as they keep the jaws suitable for
their entire line.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 17, 11:11 am, wrote:
If this needs to be a new thread ... please let me know

1) My EVS is setup and running well

2) I now need a chuck ... any advice? ... 3 jaw ... 4 Jaw ... size ?

Hi
I just ordered one from HARTVILLE TOOL.. The oneway strong hold is
199.00 and the talon is 159.00 and free shipping month of DEC
Best deal I could find.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks all

I did do research before I asked and found that the Talon and
Stronghold do seem to have the best rating ... kind of the Rolls Royce
of wood lathe chucks

I will have check out Hartville tool as $199 is very reasonable for a
Stronghold

Am I correct that the difference between the Talon and Stronghold is
size? ... if not then what is the difference?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 18 2007, 9:16 pm, Bill Rubenstein wrote:
Don't forget that you also need the adapter for 21.99 additional.

DONE ... after researching ... I found that the Stronghold was the
best chuck for me ... given the number of different jaws available

I purchased the Stronghold from Hartville ... it is to be delivered
tomorrow ... as UPS usually delivers in my area ... in the early
evening ... I wont be home to receive it ... as I will be at the local
woodturners meeting

Thanks again for all the help