Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default OT - sewing machine repair

Jordan wrote:

this one, and i think also the other, gets stuck in reverse. When
opened, i can return it to forwards by applying a moderate amount of
assistance to the spring return, but there is no way it will return by
itself.
russ (from Oz)

I'd try applying a bit of WD40 to the hinge bearing.

Bit of a sucker for sewing machines myself, bought an Husqvarna
computerised one at garage sale. Works beaut on straight stitch, but
smashes needle immediately upon selecting anything else. Full of stepper
motors to do what was once done with simple mechanisms - I guess its
brains are scrambled. Not worth the effort of learning how to fix, I'll
avoid these in future.

Jordan

I can't resist asking the obvious question. did you change the foot
plate to the wide hole when you were selecting other than straight
stitch? I've done the same thing a couple of times when in a hurry and,
as you said, smashed the needle.

Jim Chandler