Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How Is This Switch Wired?

On Nov 6, 11:51 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now he has another problem...He opened LF1 and found that it is being
used as a junction box (not his doing) to supply power to an outlet in
the mudroom and an outside light with it's own switch. The key point
being there are already at least 4 pieces of Romex coming into LF1
(source in, outlet out, S1 in/out, S2 in/out) therefore, I'm sure the
box is way too crowded for another length of Romex from LF2.

That's what they make extension rings for: you double the capacity of the box
at the cost of two or three dollars and five minutes of work.

--
Regards,

Thanks to all for the replies, both the correct ones and the incorrect
ones. :-)

As I suspected, the CF was the culprit. When he described the
symptoms, it didn't make sense which is why I asked him if the
fixtures were the same. At first he said "Yes...I bought a matching
fixture." Then I took it to the next level: OK, what about the bulbs?
That's when I learned of the CFL.

As far as using an extension ring...well... it's a finished ceiling
which means he's going to have to remove all the existing wires to
replace the box/add a ring and then put it all back together. Based on
past experiences, I'm afraid to even suggest that to him.

Thanks to all again.