Posted to alt.home.repair
DonC DonC is offline

Default How Is This Switch Wired?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 10:26 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker, who should *not* be doing his own wiring attempted to add
a 2nd light fixture in his mudroom this weekend. Here is the situation
he presented to me this morning.

Light Fixture 1 (LF1) is an existing ceiling fixture in the mud room.
An existing Switch (S1) controls LF1.

He added LF2, a second ceiling fixture in the mud room, and wants to
control it with S1.

LF1 holds an incandescent bulb and LF2 holds a compact fluorescent.

He took the cover off of S1 and found a black and white from length of
Romex attached to S1. That's all that was in the box. So far, nothing
out of the ordinary, as far as I can tell. I'm assuming this length of
Romex is the switched hot from LF1.

If there is only one romex coming into the box, that is out of the
ordinary. You should have at least 2 romex, with one being the feed,
other going to LF1. Could also be other romex that tap off feed at
that point, etc.

That's actually quite common. Power for LF1 is fed directly to LF1. The
black wire in the LF1 box connects to one of the wires heading to S1. The
other wire from S1 connect to the hot side of LF1. This circuit is
controlled by the position of S1.

Power Source W
Power Source B