Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:44:40 -0000, wrote:
snip

Regarding the Nova vs Jet

From my experience ... heavier is more stable ... and as I have
all of my tools (with the exceptions of a POS Craftsman radial saw) on
wheels ... weight is
not really a factor ... other than moving it from the
curb

I did notice the notice the difference between the 215/3630 rpm

I would LOVE to have a speed lower than 450.. thinking of going with the Nova xp
but that's a about $2,500 if you want the stand and stuff..

(Nova) ... vs the 450/3000 rpm of the Jet ...

What about the HP difference ... 1.5 hp (Nova) vs 1 hp (Jet)?

I've always thought that you want all the power you can get, but I've never had
a power problem on the 1442 and I admit to abusing it frequently.. the extra 50%
hp, assuming that they're both real figures and arrived at with the same math,
sure can't hurt, except maybe on the electric bill..

Has anyone heard of durability of Nova's? ... I know and trust Jet
for sturdy durable tools

At present I am leaning towards the Jet ... if for no other reason
than the stability ... and known durability ... but that lower low and
higher high of the Nova are quite attractive

Can't speak for Nova, though a lot of folks here like them.. besides the
Shopsmith, both of my lathes are Jet..
I was so impressed with the Jet mini that it really swayed me towards the Jet
brand on the next lathe..

As for purchasing used ... I will have to see what comes along ... as
this is a actually my Christmas present from my dad ... so this
isnt an IF ... it is a WHEN

IMHO, buying used is good because you usually save money and in some cases
tools, jigs, etc. are included..

IMHO, buying used is bad because you might be buying someone else's problem, as
in used cars..

In new and used, you have to kick the tires..
If you have a turners group in your area, attend a meeting or 3.. it's good
experience and you might get some turning time on a few different lathes..

http://www.woodturner.org/community/...t=Chapter+List

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing