Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:20:57 -0800, wrote:

Thanks again George ...

I came to the conclusion that really wont me moving it often as
well ... So I am thinking of leaving against a wall ... with enough
space to allow for 16 inch centers

I don't have a Nova, which is a very good lathe, mine is a Woodfast
Cobra, 6 speeds. I built its stand from 50 x 100 tube and used old
lawnmower wheels which lift the headstock end about 15mm for travel.
They are removed and the lathe stands on the legs when in position.
I think I moved it about 4 times in 12 years when I got tired of the
same piece of wall and the afternoon sun glare through the window in
summer.
At my replacement house the old shed has two clear plastic sheets in
the roof and a window over the workbench so the lathe will be against
the opposite wall, no glare, once I get all the metalworking stuff
moved out to the new shed. It will be wonderful not to have to move
tools to make working space, which is why everything I use except
metal lathe & mill has wheels/casters. I still have to get proper
power into both sheds instead of extension cables.

Alan