Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
[email protected] dicecollector@gmail.com is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

ALL

Thanks much for the advice ... Hope you dont mind a few more
questions / bits of info

INFO

* I did a good bit of turning back in the late 70-mid 80's ... so I am
not a complete newbie ... but am just looking for what technology
changes have occured that I can take advantage of ... now that I have
a larger budget

* I tried craigslist (use it all the time here in Colorado
Springs) ... most of the stuff were shopsmith (which I tend to
avoid) ... there was one really old (1950ish) Powermatic that looked
in sad shape ... I even tried the want adds ... which had none for
sale

* Now that I am making enough to purchase decent quality tools ... I
tend to purchase new (which isnt always better) ... but if used isnt
available I have to resort to new

QUESTIONS:

* Why should I consider the Nova ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20011
) over the Jet ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5225
) ?

* With regard to "As mentioned, 90 is plenty. Anything else
complicates things." can you elaborate on this? ... as it seems all
units now have 360 ...
personally I dont see much use for more than 90 ... or
even 45 ... from my experience

COMMENTS:

Kevin (my name as well) ... thanks for the 'kick the tires' primer on
lathes ... it is always good to know what to look for when buying
used

Ecnerwal - I live 1 block from a Harbor Freight ... and I use it
often ... but never for power tools from past experiences with Chicago
Machinery ... they just dont last ... wore out the bearings and
fittings on my variable speed drill press ... replaced it with a Delta
Industrial ... Wore out the slide mechanism on my 10 inch sliding chop
saw ... replaced it with a Delta 12 inch ... I wont even mention 18V
cordless drills

Darrell - thanks much for the primer and sharpening tips ... I used to
do my own sharpening ... but have lost the skills ... hopefully this
will help bring them back
I was going to pull out the 3 grades of Smiths stones
I use for all my blades