Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default 220 volt motor wiring

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:08:24 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

We ran the 2 hots as they did, the ground to the same place they used and
the
neutral to the other grounding rod..
Everything worked well and my son & I were busy congratulating ourselves
when my
wife mentioned that the breaker panel (in the kitchen pantry) was
"buzzing"...
Found out it wasn't buzzing, just ARCING... oops...
Shut everything down, reversed the ground and neutral and fired up the
generator...Everything worked great for the next couple of months, until
we got
"real" electricity...

Something about this doesn't sound right mac. Both of those rods should
have been electrically the same, so it won't matter which wire you run to
which rod.

That got me, also.. I looked at my neighbor's kiosk and it only has one rod in
the ground...
Someone told me that it depended on where the ground wires went.. on the bar or
on the box, or something like that..
I'm pretty comfortable working with 110v but 220v is a now thing for me..

OH.. sort of a side thing, but might be relevant:
The house is built of insulating block and has no studs to screw the circuit
breaker panel into, so until the did the stucco work, the panel was held in
place with bailing wire twisted around a metal vent pipe and run through the
screw holes in the breaker box..
These wire were RED hot and arcing..
When we reversed the ground and neutral wires, they were fine..

Bottom line was that I should have had someone qualified hook up the generator
up but didn't really believe the bozo that the contractor sent out was an
"electrician"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing