Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Styrofoam ceiling

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Mind if I ask how old you are? I'm wondering how you couldn't know that
styrofoam produces toxic fumes when it burns.

Actually, not it doesn't. Other foam may, but Styrofoam is styrene plastic
and when it burns, produces soot (a lot of it), water, carbon dioxide)
About the same as burning fuel oil. Properly covered, it is useful for
insulation and even for Insulating Concrete Forms www.integraspec.com as an
example.

While polystyrene is indeed somewhat less toxic than some other
types of foams, how toxic it actually is is highly variable depending
on conditions. Eg: low O2 will result in incomplete burn.

The initial combustion products are styrene and carbon monoxide. Neither
of which are good for you.

http://eumeps.org/pdfs/behaviour.pdf
--
Chris Lewis,