Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Don Ocean Don Ocean is offline

Default Furnace/Boiler plumbing - black pipe vs. copper

Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 5, 10:44 pm, wrote:
Dear Readers,

The supply/return pipes that come out of my furnace (I've learned not
to call it a boiler) are threaded black pipe. Only after the
circulators and expansion tank are they changed to copper. I assume
this is to help bear the weight of these pieces of equipment on the
line. Am I correct? Or is it that copper pipe cannot be within a
certain distance to the furnace due to heat or possibility of galvanic
action or some other reasons? Any ideas?

Thank you.
Regards,
Anthony

1) Why are you calling your boiler a furnace?
2) I have seen boilers completely plumbed with copper, completely
plumbed with black pipe, or a mixture of both. Your install probably
just reflects the personal preferences of the installer.

JK

Or a Retrofit.