Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - sewing machine repair

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:22:57 +1100, with neither quill nor qualm, "x"
quickly quoth:

hi all
i'm hoping one of you fine gentlemen will be able to help me gain some wife
approval points...

she has a husqvarna (viking) '2000 SL' sewing machine (actually a couple,
along with a bunch of others! - we arent the only species who has to have
more than one of anything!)

this one, and i think also the other, gets stuck in reverse. When opened, i
can return it to forwards by applying a moderate amount of assistance to the
spring return, but there is no way it will return by itself. This machine
has 'lifetime lubrication' so there is no way to add oil. The action is
smooth, but stiff.

My pedal (on a CONSEW model 210 and universal table) has a brake
connected through the clutch, so doublecheck that the pedal isn't all
the way back when you spin the machine by hand.

Actual stiffness in a sewing machine usually indicates thread caught
in places it shouldn't be. DAMHIKT. Triplecheck the bobbin area,
disassemble the drive foot plates to check there, etc.

Any suggestions? any idea what the original lube might be? i guess white
lithium style grease, does that dry out over time?

Good question. Does the local sewing machine repairman have any
suggestions or carry Husky service manuals?

I could disassemble but i'd rather not as i am not familiar with re-timing
if that was needed.

Grok that. Write to Husky and ask for manuals and answers to your
questions if they persist. And learn how to time sewing machines.
Women will cook wondrous goodies for you if you do, and your wife
won't mind it.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright