Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robbo[_2_] Robbo[_2_] is offline

Default OT - sewing machine repair

"x" wrote in message
hi all
i'm hoping one of you fine gentlemen will be able to help me gain some
wife approval points...

she has a husqvarna (viking) '2000 SL' sewing machine (actually a couple,
along with a bunch of others! - we arent the only species who has to have
more than one of anything!)

this one, and i think also the other, gets stuck in reverse. When opened,
i can return it to forwards by applying a moderate amount of assistance to
the spring return, but there is no way it will return by itself. This
machine has 'lifetime lubrication' so there is no way to add oil. The
action is smooth, but stiff.

Any suggestions? any idea what the original lube might be? i guess white
lithium style grease, does that dry out over time?

I could disassemble but i'd rather not as i am not familiar with re-timing
if that was needed.

appreciate all suggestions!

russ (from Oz)

If the old lube has become thick and gunky you may be able to wash it out
using aerosol pack CO contact cleaner (from Atkins / maybe Dick Smith
Electronics / Repco / Coventry's). I would use white or silicone grease too,
note I _don't_ mean silicon heatsink grease. Others may know a better
solution, maybe try phoning local sewing machine service company. I've fixed
similar things where the grease has thickened through heat, aging and dust.
I have not had problems but check the contact cleaner will not harm any
plastic casings or gears etc. A syringe may help get the grease in where it
is needed.

I just remembered that decades ago Singer used to supply a very light oil in
a plastic squeeze bottle with new sewing machines. Maybe this would still
work! Good luck.