Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on Razor Wire

In article ,
Huge wrote:
In article ,
On 2007-11-05, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Feel free to emigrate to a country that suits you better, human
rights wise. But don't be surprised when your idea of *your* rights
and those of that country don't coincide.

It's entirely possible to protect the rights of the law abiding and
withdraw them, to a large extent, for law breakers.

I'm not so sure. Tell people criminals have no rights is giving them
cart blanch to seek retribution.

I am in two minds about this. The law is definitely too far on the
side of the burglar at the moment, but even I don't really want lynch
mobs roaming the streets looking for dropping sweet wrappers so they
can be strung up.

It seems to be human nature wanting to enforce laws. But only the laws
that individual approves of - and not those which may effect him.
Other name for this is religion.

Actually, I'd scrap large parts of the law; everything that seeks to
protect people from themselves or interferes with contracts between
consenting adults. I really don't care what other people do, so long as
they leave me alone, and I genuinely don't understand why people want to
poke their noses into other people's lives - or in the case of
politicians, run their lives for them, using my money.

I agree in principle. But this is a different matter from removing rights
from those perceived as criminals. Because as I said just about everyone
does something some others might regard as criminal.
Many seem to believe it should be ok to kill or maim a burglar. Others
might think the same applies to someone who scratches your car. Others -
perhaps to someone using a mobil phone in a car or smoking in a building.
So the only fair answer is the same rights for all and leave punishment to
the law.

I think we are vastly overgoverned. But I do not see any chance of any
improvement any time soon; the output of Government being more
Government.

A party which committed to only repealing old and useless legislation for
the first term would get my vote.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.