Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

wrote in message
oups.com...
reverse is good when sanding frazzy wood. I sand in one direction,
then sand reversed.

This was my thinking as well

I am now leaning towards the Nova ... the only negatives/questions I
have at this point are

* the wheel issue (do owners think it can take wheels without a mobile
base)

* How hard is belt changing? vs the downsides of the outdated Reeves
system for speed control?

You can put wheels on anything, but you sacrifice rigidity when you do. You
are firm on the floor, the lathe not quite when on casters, and eighths
count. You'd want to have fully retractable wheels so as not to introduce
axle slop or partial rotation error. I did it on Ol' Blue by setting it up
as a wheelbarrow of sorts, casters free of the floor when the opposite end
was on the ground, contacting when the opposite end was lifted. Then I
moved the thing perhaps twice in fifteen years.

Belt changes are 20-second jobs. Since you're changing radial velocity all
the time as you go from the outside of a large piece toward the axis of
rotation, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I sometimes change
speed once on a bowl if I haven't rounded it well on the bandsaw. From the
360 to the 680 as it gets into balance.