Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:19:37 -0000, wrote:

Hello all ...

I am new to this group(s) but have been woodworking for over 30 years
and am seeking advice about purchasing a new wood lathe

I used to work with old single speed ... stationary head ... 1.5 hp
Rockwell 12 inch lathe I realize how much I miss it

Info that may help with your advice

* My budget is about $1000 (for the lathe itself)

That's not very much $. You might try for something used. My lathe
is the most expensive machine in my shop (just under $5000). Just the
cast iron legs alone were $900, and that was 10 years ago. You can
make your own hollow legs and fill with sand.

* I have searched Usenet looking for recent similar postings

* I have been to woodcraft and they advise the Jet VS Pro
(JWL-1442VSK)

* I have compared features ... but it has been so long since I have
worked with a wood lathe ... I really feel I need the
advice of professionals

* At present I have no particular project in mind ... but in the past
I have done things such as bowls ... pedestals ... table legs ... and
stair rails ... so I am looking for something sturdy and versatile

What features should I look for?

Length is probably one important characteristic.
Heavy is good.
220v is better than 120v.
Serviceable/replacement parts

* 360 degree swivel headstock?

Nice to have. I don't have a swivel headstock.

* Variable speed (how variable)?

I have variable speed. It adds to the cost but is a very nice
feature. To keep costs low you may have to go with a stepped pulley
arrangement.

* Reversible turning direction?

Reversible is nice to get a nice smooth finish. I wired-in a reverse
switch and saved $100.

As to Lathe tools ... Like any cutting tool ... the better the
quality ... the longer the edge will hold ...

Any advice as to brand would also help here ... I personally use CASE
or Miller Falls wood chisels and find them both to be excellent

What is your advice as far as which tools to start out with?

large gouge
bowl or small gouge
parting tool
skew
various scrapers

I looked at the Sorby tools at Woodcraft and liked the heft of the
tool ... but the handles seem a bit cheap

Sorby is very good. I have no complaints about their handles. A
starter set of quality turning tools might run about $600. You will
also need sharpening stones and tools.

Thanks for your time ... sorry for all the questions from a newbie ...