Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default garden thread taps and dies

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Huntress writes:

Are you taking this from the ANSI/ASME B1.20.7-1991 (R2003) spec,
Richard?

Yes, via MH.

I don't have access to that stuff these days, unfortunately,
but is it something in there that leads you to say it can't be tapped
or die-cut?

Yes, as my earlier post stated, the features of the *nipple* (male
component) and the *coupling* (female coupling) include not just the
thread, but also a pilot, a relief, and a different lead-in thread angle.
That's not to say you can't tap or die-cut the .75-11.5 thread itself, but
that thread is only one feature of these couplings. The other features
require (as standard states) cutting, rolling, or thin-wall forming, not
tapping or die-cutting. So a tap or die alone will not do it.

OK, without having the standard here to look at, I can't comment on the
necessity of those other features. But I've watched hose bibbs being cut on
a dial-index machine and it was just a rough-turn, die-cutting, and facing
operation, as I recall. If the hose ends have extra features, do they really
matter for someone who wants to make a male fitting to connect to a
coupling?

--
Ed Huntress