Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Big problem due to time change

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Banking and other services that are "early closers" anyway are especially
problematical. ...

Most anything goes at any time any more (be that good or bad) at least in
the city. Twenty years ago, who'd have ever thought banks would be open on
a Sunday? Of course, farmers work Sundays too.

Well, that may be true in the city, but it isn't in rural areas. We
happen to be relatively close to the one decent-sized town that has a
Wally-World and there is a branch bank there. Being as I so rarely am
in there, I don't know whether they have any Sunday hours or not -- I
suppose they probably do since it's the most popular spot for the
packing plant employees, but I'd almost wager there's nothing more than
a teller window on Sunday. And, of course, anything that I needed to
discuss that couldn't be done online or over the phone couldn't be
handled at the branch location, anyway. Here it's still local banks,
local folks, business the handshake way...

It is somehow disconcerting, even if it is only psychological, to still
have daylight at nearly 11PM. Of course, those in more northern latitudes
are more used to that, but still, for them the same effect must still
hold.

You must be on the tail end of the time zone and I'm on the front end. That
alone makes quite a difference in perception. On the longest day, it is dark
by 9:30.

Yes. When we were in VA were much more nearly in the middle of a zone
plus being in the shadow of the Blue Ridge made days there end quite
early it seemed. Here and where we were in TN, we're on the very edge
of the zone. As I noted in another response, many of the area counties
simply swap back and forth between Central and Mountain zones and never
move the clocks. Only the counties that have large enough towns that
the townies can out-vote the rest do they actually change. That of
course, includes our county w/ the largest town in 80 mile radius and
the sizable packing plant hourly workforce.

Regionality comes into play also. When I lived in Philadelphia, typical
shop hours were 8 - 4. Here in northeast CT, 7 - 3 is more common and 6 - 2
is often done too.

As for farmers, they have a good life. The Farmer's Market is open three
days a week from 4 to 6 from May to October. No wonder they have to get $3
a pound for tomatoes.

Yeah, right...

It's akin to teaching -- you don't do it for the money or you're in the
wrong line of work.