Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname yourname is offline

Default Styrofoam ceiling

I will not visit your family in the burn unit, although it is unlikely
you would live through even the most minor fire. Envision melting
styrofoam dripping onto exposed flesh.........kewl

Dave wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
I am renovating a room with a concrete ceiling. Previous ceiling (wood
paneling)
had been removed. The concrete ceiling is a bit uneven and requires
smoothing
which I'd rather not do.

I am thinking of paneling the ceiling with styrofoam sheet about two
inches
thick. I 've got some good quality styrofoam (smooth - not grainy) I coul
just
glue there.

My question is about the lights. I haven't yet selected any lights but
other
rooms have recessed halogens lights eyebulb style.

Halogens tend to get hot and styrofoam could melt . How much room should I
cut
for the 50w lights? (a ball park estimate)

Time out! Let's see if I'm understanding you correctly: You're going to glue
styrofoam directly onto the ceiling, and then install recessed lights? How?
In what hollow space?

I get your point and understand that there must be some space left between the
sheets and the recessed lights. That should still lead to warmth buildup. I must
need a hollow space between ceiling and the styrofoam.

Like I said I am asking for advice.