Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Styrofoam ceiling

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Dave wrote:

I am renovating a room with a concrete ceiling. Previous ceiling (wood paneling)
had been removed. The concrete ceiling is a bit uneven and requires smoothing
which I'd rather not do.

I am thinking of paneling the ceiling with styrofoam sheet about two inches
thick. I 've got some good quality styrofoam (smooth - not grainy) I could just
glue there.

My question is about the lights. I haven't yet selected any lights but other
rooms have recessed halogens lights eyebulb style.

Halogens tend to get hot and styrofoam could melt . How much room should I cut
for the 50w lights? (a ball park estimate)

No offense, but are you nuts??? Exposed styrofoam is a major fire
trap.

Styrofoam burns so badly that almost every locality forbids it to be
left exposed, but even if there isn't any law against that, you still
want it covered with something highly fire resistant, like plaster or
sheet rock. Recessed lighting is bad enough for causing fires even
when it's housed properly and surrounded by fireproof insulation with
adequate clearance from the light.