Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Sprinkler system underground leak help

On Nov 5, 12:22 pm, observer wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:25:14 -0800, Dave FL wrote:
Yep, got a leak somewhere. Did the timing thing with the water meter
and found the three largest zones use most of the water.

My Problem: water bill came to $400.00 one month and $500.00 the next
month. Stopped using the sprinklers and dropped to $50 - $60/Mo.
My Guess: underground sprinkler leak
My Question: What is the easiest way to check the lines for a leak?
My Answer (up for review): Take out the sprinkler heads in each zone
and cap off the line, run the sprinkler water and see if meter turns.

Need help to see if this is the best way to check the lines, or will a
divining rod be better?

Dave FL

Dave, I'm no guru on sprinklers except to say I've had 2 different
systems for about 15 years or so, so I have some experience with minor
fixes. My instinct would be that if you have that much leakage, you
should have a soft spot in your yard where the water is leaking. I
think with that much water and under pressure, some water will
probably go to the surface as well as below the pipes. You might also
see what some diy places for installing systems have to say or google
for it.

Last resort, before paying for that much water again, it will probably
be A LOT cheaper to get a professional to fix the problem !!- Hide quoted text -

The zone with weak pressure has the leak, follow the pipe and it
should be evident from soaked ground.