Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Cutting bottom of heating register panel

"Wally" wrote in message
ups.com...
My home has forced hot water through baseboard heating units in each
room. The heating units (radiators) have a steel/metal front cover
that can be lifted up/out and removed to either vacuum the fins or
bleed the unit.

Looks like the previous owner's, when they had a ceramic tile floor
put in, the installers tiled around the bottom of the metal cover
making it impossible to lift up and remove the cover. Mainly because
the tiles and backing added probably 3/8" to the floor height. I need
to bleed these radiators now because we had a new heating system
installed.

I need a means to cut away the bottoms of these radiator covers where
they meet the top of the ceramic tile. I don't have to remove too
much because the bottoms to be cut are not one continuous amount -
instead they are about 2 1/2" wide "feet" on either side of the cover.

I was thinking of just using a hacksaw blade but am looking for some
easier way. I don't mind buying some electric tool to do the job
because I could always use the tool on other home jobs. Any thoughts
on what I can use to get the job done, whether it a hand tool or an
electric tool? I was looking at the MultiMaster tool but I don't
think the saw blades could handle the metal thickness to cut.

Thanks,
Walter

I wonder if taking it to a metal shop might be cheaper than buying a tool.
Of course, it could also be a good excuse to buy a new tool, and bury it in
the "health care" part of the budget to make the Mrs happy.