Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Cutting bottom of heating register panel

My home has forced hot water through baseboard heating units in each
room. The heating units (radiators) have a steel/metal front cover
that can be lifted up/out and removed to either vacuum the fins or
bleed the unit.

Looks like the previous owner's, when they had a ceramic tile floor
put in, the installers tiled around the bottom of the metal cover
making it impossible to lift up and remove the cover. Mainly because
the tiles and backing added probably 3/8" to the floor height. I need
to bleed these radiators now because we had a new heating system
installed.

I need a means to cut away the bottoms of these radiator covers where
they meet the top of the ceramic tile. I don't have to remove too
much because the bottoms to be cut are not one continuous amount -
instead they are about 2 1/2" wide "feet" on either side of the cover.

I was thinking of just using a hacksaw blade but am looking for some
easier way. I don't mind buying some electric tool to do the job
because I could always use the tool on other home jobs. Any thoughts
on what I can use to get the job done, whether it a hand tool or an
electric tool? I was looking at the MultiMaster tool but I don't
think the saw blades could handle the metal thickness to cut.

Thanks,
Walter

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Wally" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I wonder if taking it to a metal shop might be cheaper than buying a tool.
Of course, it could also be a good excuse to buy a new tool, and bury it in
the "health care" part of the budget to make the Mrs happy.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

the "health care" part of the budget to make the Mrs happy.- Hide quoted text -

I can't take it to a metal shop!!! I can't even remove the panel as
the tiles prevent any upward/outward movement.

Walter

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Wally wrote:
[...]

I am thinking of a rotary cutting tool that I have seen electricians used to
cut out opens in tiles.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Wally wrote:
[...]

I wonder if there's a metal cutting blade available for this:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=5090D

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Wally wrote:
[...]

That won't cut at floor level. Unless they make metal blades for the
specialty saws floor installers use to trim door frames in place, best
thing I can think of (without seeing the radiator) is an angle grinder
with a cutoff wheel, and using a sheet of something to protect floor as
you slide it along. It'll be messy, and mess up the bottom edge of the
heat shield. But local RV/Trailer place will likely have some sort of
U-shaped trim that can go over the cut edge.

I'd be inclined to fine-tune reality and just pry the covers off. Unless
there are actually catches buried in the tile/grout, there can't be too
much holding them in there. You might mess up the grout a little, but
that is easy to fake.

aem sends....
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
I wonder if there's a metal cutting blade available for this:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=5090D

That won't cut at floor level.

Not sure, but the blade looks like it would only force the blade up an inch
from the floor. What choice has the guy got? The room's a cob job.

I'd be inclined to fine-tune reality and just pry the covers off.

Yeah...that's what I thought earlier today. Hack the thing off and start
from scratch. If he cuts the cover, it's going to leave a nice sharp edge.
Someone's gonna slice their toes next time they go to open a window or hang
a picture.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:42 am, Wally wrote:
[...]

Would a reciprocating saw work? Get a long blade so it can flex and be
flat/flush with the top of the tile. Put a piece of luan or other thin
material on the tile to protect and rev 'er up.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 5, 10:42 am, Wally wrote:
[...]

It probably would, but when finished, there'll be a sharp edge at the bottom
of the metal, and it doesn't matter how you file, sand or otherwise try and
smooth it. The only way to make it correct for use around humans would be to
roll the edge. That ain't gonna happen.